EnviroDevelopment is a scientifically-based assessment scheme that independently reviews development projects and awards certification to those that achieve outstanding performance across four or more of the provided elements – Ecosystems, Waste, Energy, Materials, Water and Community.
EnviroDevelopment serves to make it easier for purchasers to recognise and, thereby, select more environmentally sustainable developments and lifestyles.
Certified developments will have been carefully designed to protect the environment and use resources responsibly, whilst offering a range of benefits to homeowners, industry and government. These developments are entitled to advertise their achievements by displaying a range of EnviroDevelopment icons (below).
Where you see the EnviroDevelopment logo on advertising, you will know that the development has been designed to be friendlier to the environment.
EnviroDevelopment has been designed to benefit a large range of groups as well as, of course, the environment in which we live. The system offers numerous benefits for home buyers, government and environmental groups and participants in the development industry.
For Home buyers / Occupiers
An EnviroDevelopment home offers:
- Reduced operating costs.
- Eligibility for rebates and incentives.
- Enhanced marketability and property values.
- Healthier homes, workplaces and communities.
- Satisfaction at reducing your ecological footprint.
For Local, State and Federal Governments and Environmental Groups
The EnviroDevelopment system means:
- A more attractive, livable and sustainable State and region.
- Increased community awareness of the importance of protecting the environment.
- More efficient use of resources whilst facilitating population growth.
- Reduced pressure and demand on infrastructure and services.
- Increased awareness of strategies to enhance sustainability.
Participating developers will be rewarded with:
- Marketing benefits of EnviroDevelopment certification.
- Enhanced corporate image.
- Potential for incentives and rebates with a positive platform for negotiating reduced infrastructure charges, offsets and reduced development assessment delays.
- A competitive environment where sustainable development outcomes are achieved without substantial financial disadvantage.
- More sustainable and enhanced developments.
A growing awareness of environmental concerns, rapid population growth and exciting advances in science and technology have placed sustainable urban development firmly on the public agenda.
In recognition of consumer demand and the urgent need to hasten the uptake of sustainable development, the Urban Development Institute of Australia (UDIA) has developed the ground-breaking environmental branding system – EnviroDevelopment.
The EnviroDevelopment framework is based on recognition of high achievement across a wide range of development types and situations. It has been structured to encourage innovation and incentives to ensure that the best environmental solutions are being used today, for a better tomorrow.