CATEGORY: Masterplanned Communities
CERTIFICATION: Ecosystems, Waste, Energy, Materials, Water, Community
North Shore, located just 12 kilometres north of Townsville’s CBD, is the largest masterplanned community currently under development in North Queensland and will cost approximately $2.3 billion to fully construct (including residential and non residential built form) over a 20 year development period. North Shore is set over 1,000 hectares and upon completion will be home to a population of 15,000 people and the commercial, retail, leisure and education hub for Townsville’s Northern Growth Corridor through the delivery of the Town Centre (up to 100,000 square meters GFA).
The project launched just over three years ago in 2008 and has grown to command a market leading position, selling close to 1,000 residential lots, and opening numerous community and commercial facilities and the following core sustainable outcomes:
- The regeneration and rehabilitation of a vast area of the Bohle River riparian corridor.
- Dedication of over 330Ha of native bush land for ongoing community use and protection of the endangered Black Throated Finch and creation of the Black Throated Finch Trust.
- The design and commencement of a $20 million Water Sensitive Urban Design program.
- Partnership with Ergon Energy to deliver ‘The Handbook’ and supporting events.
- Partnership with Greening Australia to continuously rehabilitate bushland throughout over 30% of the project.
- A true contained community with education, shops, community and civic spaces, convenience centers and a sub-regional town centre all linked together through a unique Green Spine parkland corridor.